Keeping your family and summer guests healthy and comfortable is a challenge. Heat exhaustion and dehydration are real threats, and you don’t want to see Aunt Mary faint from high humidity during a BBQ bash. But, you can’t afford to have your AC running on high power all summer long. It’s not financially feasible.
You need to find other ways of cooling your home and keeping its occupants comfortable. Lucky for you, there are plenty of ways for homeowners to lower their energy costs – and their home-humidity levels – without running up the electric bill. Try these 12 tips to keep your energy costs from skyrocketing this summer.
- Seal your ducts. The EPA estimates that about a fifth of the air that goes through a duct system escapes.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Doing so saves up to 10 percent on your cooling bills.
- Replace old windows with high-efficiency ones. These eliminate unnecessary drafts.
- Install energy-efficient doors. Replace your doors with ones that do not allow air to infiltrate.
- Replace old equipment with energy-efficient units. A newer, more efficient model is going to lower your monthly energy costs.
- Install high-efficiency water heaters. Water heating requires 15-25 percent of the annual energy usage in a home, and an inefficient system consumes even more.
- Position your home strategically. This means placing windows and doors where they are best able to avoid unnecessary heat intake.
- Install a radiant barrier. In warm climates, radiant barriers reduce the amount of heat being absorbed into your home.
- Properly air-seal your home. By blocking random air movement throughout your home, you reduce air leakage, which accounts for over 30 percent of a home’s heating and cooling costs.
- Don’t forget about your attic. It’s important to insulate and stop airflow in the attic to contain excessively hot air.
- Choose energy-efficient lighting. Fluorescent lights use 75 percent less energy and last 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Install ENERGY STAR-qualified appliances. These are proven to help save homeowners money.
The last thing you want to worry about this Fourth of July is a high utility bill. Trying to keep your energy expenses low and your guests comfortable is enough to drive you crazy. Don’t let your frustration with your AC unit’s massive energy consumption and increasingly high utility bills explode like a firecracker.
Turn to these tips to keep your home cool without constantly cranking up the AC. A big energy bill is a buzz-kill for any family gathering. Keep your utility costs low with these alternatives to constant AC use, and let yourself focus on what’s really important: summer fun with family and friends.
Ready to realize home energy savings with the right air conditioning unit? Contact the On Time Experts! Your very own Comfort Consultant is standing by to help keep your family comfortable year-round.